Friday 29 April 2016

Teaching Young Children



I saw this quote a while back and I am very grateful for it because it then changes a lot of things in the way I bring about my teaching practices.

Even with my Early Childhood background, the real world is not a bed of roses. I struggled during my first year in a kindergarten. I struggled with my principles and the reality of my teaching environment. I struggled with my emotions and my students' emotions. I struggled with meeting up objectives for my lesson plans and my students' needs-- actual needs. Also, I was overwhelmed.

Siapa kata teaching young children is easy? It is a rewarding job, I can guarantee that, but it is one of the toughest.

Masa first year, kalau tak nangis sebab kerja, sekolah, or budak memang tak sah. Sampailah member kata, "Nams, kau kena buli dengan anak murid kau ke?"

I looked at these angelic faces in front of me and thought "How can all these sweet-things cause so much havoc and heartache within me?"

Then this quote came along. I was in my second year of teaching. I didn't understand it immediately, but because I've mellowed down a bit it was easier for me to accept it. It is not the children, it is not entirely about the system, it is more often than not, me.

Children are children and they have been the same no matter the year or century. They don't come with instruction manuals but they come fully equipped with the knowledge how to learn. Oh, yes they do. They know from the get go, what they need and how to acquire it. They know they need us to manoeuvre the settings/environment and they will show/tell it. Only thing is, are we seeing/listening to them?

I am not saying that we shouldn't teach children (Habeh aku nak cari makan macam mana?) All I am saying is, STOP, put down the lesson plan, OBSERVE, really observe these angelic faces. Lower down your voice, quit the instructions, and LISTEN. CLEAR your judgemental views and all-knowing attitude.

OBSERVE and LISTEN beyond the lesson plans, the super-fun activities, and structural playtime.

OBSERVE and LISTEN as these children go about their daily routine, they'll show/tell us adults the way they learn. And then, you'll know who/what/why/when/where/how to teach them.

If you do not already know, Hi, I am Najmi, an Early Years Practitioner, Children-PLAY Advocate. I still have my struggles and sometimes I do get overwhelmed with work, school, and my students, but, I am still learning and understanding Early Childhood Education. Won't you join me?


Love,
Teacher Najmi.

No comments:

Post a Comment